A centralized Project Management Office (PMO) gives organizations the capability to achieve favorable results regularly across their full portfolio of projects-creating a framework that can shift project management into a favored position for you, over competition. Whether your organization is just starting to investigate the advantage of a formal PMO, or your current PMO is not reaching the results management has calculated, DKDouglas Consulting can help take your PMO to the next level.
A Project Office fulfills two fundamental roles:
- It gives enterprise-level project management services.
- It serves as a project management center of exceptionalism.
Implementing a formalized project management process in a company or organization that has not used a structured approach to project strategizing and control can present substantial challenges. A phased approach to implementation assists companies to overcome resistance to change, allows lessons learned in early phases to be integrated in the systems installed in later phases, and ensures that a solid framework of project-level info is available before to rolling-up enterprise-level data.
DKDouglas Consulting uses four implementation phases: Initiation, Project-Level Installation, Enterprise-Level Installation, and Maintenance.
The Initiation phase:
- Energizes the organization.
- Repair any current at-risk projects.
- Sets the stage for the next stage, the Installation phases.
This stage contains the selection of pilot projects that have the potential for near-term successes, and the transmission of those success stories to the organization.
The Project-Level Installation phase:
- Gives a structured project planning and control method for all intended projects.
- Creates the project management framework necessary to support the consistent, successful application of project management methods by the Project Office on future projects.
- Offers training and guidance to the Project Office staff.
The Enterprise-Level Installation phase:
- Creates the foundation necessary to support business decision-making based on schedule, resource, and cost information “rolled-up” from the full portfolio of projects.
- Transitions the daily responsibility for developing and maintaining individual project plans from DKDouglas Consulting to the Project Office staff.
The Maintenance phase:
- Shifts the accountability for supporting all of the project management requirements of the organization onto the Project Office staff.